French Potato Salad With Bacon (Picnic-Safe - No Mayo!)
- Ready In:
- Scrub the potatoes under running water with a soft brush. Quarter them and drop them into a kettle of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender but still firm, 8 to 10 minutes after the water reaches a boil.
- Meanwhile, chop the bacon and saute in a small skillet until crisp. Remove bacon and reserve.
- In the bacon fat remaining in the skillet, saute chopped shallots until tender but not at all browned, 5 minutes or so. Reserve shallots and fat.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them and drop them into a mixing bowl.
- Pour vinegar, olive oil, shallots and reserved bacon fat over the still-hot potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and gently toss. Add purple onion and parsley and toss again. Cool to room temperature, cover, and refrigerate.
- Before serving bring back to room temperature, toss, correct seasoning and add additional oil and vinegar if the salad seems dry. Sprinkle reserved crisp bacon on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!