French Onion Soup
- Ready In:
- In a large saucepot, melt butter in olive oil and cook onions over medium-high until nicely softened. Add thyme.
- Pour in port and allow to cook mostly off.
- Add beef broth, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 - 10 minutes.
- Pour into soup bowls. Top with snug-fitting slice of bread (toasting helps it stay afloat) and shredded cheese.
- Broil until cheese is golden. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm from a small town in Southwestern Ontario and am a Mom to three wonderful 'Little Chefs'. My favourite cookbooks are Cottage Life's Summer Weekend Cookbook, Robin Hood's Baking Festival Cookbook and the old standard, the Joy of Cooking - all are reliable and excellent. My eyes have been opened to the simplicity and elegance of gourmet cooking through a few choice cookbooks, and a subscription to the Food Network Magazine. I love to cook and am trying to expand my recipe box repertoire. Zaar is my favourite cookbook by far. I love that I can lose a recipe and access it again and again. My computer has actually replaced my treasured recipe box. My absolute favourite thing about Recipezaar (beside no ads!) is the sense of community and togetherness between the members.