French Lentil Soup With Garlic Sausage
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In 'Sunday Soup' by Betty Rosbottom
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrot (1/4-inch dice)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 3 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 6 ounces garlic sausage, cut into 1/4-inch dice (kielbasa)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (I would start with 1 t., as this is a strong herb)
- 9 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 1 lb french green lentil (2 cups, Puy lentils)
- kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- When hot, add the carrots, onion, and celery; cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sausage, and thyme; cook 1 minute.
- Add the stock, bay leaves, and bring mixture to a simmer over high heat.
- Stir in the lentils, then decrease heat, cover, and cook at a gently simmer until tender, about 50 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves; remove the garlic pieces and transfer to food processor.
- Using a slotted spoon, strain 1/2 cup solids from the soup and puree them with garlic pieces in a food processor.
- Stir the pureed mixture into the pot; this will thicken the soup slightly.
- Taste soup and season with salt, as needed.
- To serve, ladle the soup into 6 serving bowls and sprinkle some parsley over each serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION