French Cherry Clafouti Pudding - French Cherry Custard Bake
photo by French Tart
- Ready In:
- 24 -36 drained cherries, in juice or
- 8 ounces fresh cherries, wiped
CLAFOUTIS CUSTARD or BATTER
- 3 ounces caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 pint milk
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 3 ounces self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- extra unsalted butter, for greasing
- icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Grease a baking tin or tian with a little butter; size about 6" x 9" or 12" long for an oval dish.
- In a food processor, blend together all the clafoutis batter ingredients, except the cherries.
- Pour the clafoutis batter into the greased tin or tian.
- Scatter the cherries into the top of the clafoutis batter.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes or until risen and firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Serve warm with creme fraiche or cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The 1st two "birthday cakes" that I remember (& they were made ages ago!) were actually fresh cherry pies, & since then I've had a soft spot for anything with cherries in it, & that's why I was drawn to making this recipe! This outstanding dessert is so easy to make & is definitely something I want to make again when I have company for dinner! As it was, the 2 of us managed somehow to stuff ourselves with this very tasty treat! I even went the whole route & served it with creme fraiche! What a wonderful recipe to make again! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for my chosen partner in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 24]
Wow FT! This is simple to make and really delicious. I used fresh cherries and loved the slightly sweet, slightly tart flavour. I did not dust extra sugar on and served it with home-made vanilla icecream. The pancake-custard part had a delicate crispy crust with a soft inside that I found very satisfying. I am going to try this using peaches next. Thanks for a wonderful dessert!