French Canadian Shepherd’s Pork Pie With Variations
- Ready In:
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can creamed corn (540 mL)
- 1 lb cooked ground pork, and seasoned to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped and fried
- 4 -5 teaspoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes and mash them. Season the potatoes to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grind your leftover cooked pork and add chopped fried onion. Season with your favorite spices. Such as rosemary, thyme, marjoram, parsley, pepper, savory or garlic.
- In a small saucepan, heat creamed corn.
- In an oven proof dish, alternate layers of mashed potatoes, creamed corn, and ground pork, finishing with a layer of mashed potatoes.
- Dot with butter and bake in oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are crusty and golden brown.
- VARIATIONS: Replace creamed corn with 2 cups applesauce. Garnish with thin slices of apple sautéed in butter.
- Replace creamed corn with 19 oz. can asparagus coarsely chopped. Serves 4.
- What’s Cooking.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Don't listen to Madam Applebee's there (good gawd, how could anyone take advice on food from anyone whose favorite restaurant is freakin' Applebee's?!?). This is pretty good. I'm definitely going to try the apple variation, though. I mean, c'mon -- pork chops and applesauce! (And you've gotta say it in that Peter Brady/bad Humphrey Bogart voice.)