French-Canadian Pea Soup (Soupe aux pois)
- Ready In:
- 1 lb whole dried yellow peas
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork (or a ham bone)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, grated or chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- Wash and sort peas; place in a large pot, bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 1 hour.
- Add salt pork, onion, celery, carrots, savory and 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until peas are very tender, about 2 hours, adding more water if needed.
- Remove salt pork; chop and return to soup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Join The Conversation