Four Layer Chocolate Cream Cheese Pie
- Ready In:
1 9x13 pie
- 3⁄4 cup butter (could use margarine)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Cool Whip (but you need extra cool whip for the top layer)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) boxes instant chocolate pudding mix (the small boxes)
- 3 cups milk
- Mix the crust ingredients, pack into bottom of a 9x13 baking pan, bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes (until crust is light brown). Cool completely.
- Beat together the powdered sugar, cool whip and cream cheese. Set aside.
- Beat together the chocolate pudding and milk, let it set up in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes. Make sure you only put 3 c milk, instead of the amount specified on the back of the pudding box.
- When crust is cool, spread white layer evenly over crust. I find this is easier if you spoon big dollops in many places over crust, as opposed to spooning it all out in one spot. That way the crust isn't as likely to crumble when you spread it evenly.
- Spread the chocolate mixture evenly over the cream cheese mixture.
- Spread cool whip evenly over the chocolate layer. I try to put about as much cool whip on top to be as thick as the other layers.
- Top with chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or anything else that sounds scrumptious.
Join The Conversation
I get requests to take this pie to family functions all the time--it's great for people who want dessert but don't want a sugar overload. Don't get me wrong, it is sweet. Just not overly sweet. I got the recipe from a 1970s Atascosa County fundraiser cookbook (the cookbook has recipes submitted by locals), but I made some slight revisions to suit my taste. It's VERY easy.