Fluffy Strawberry Meringue Pie
The most wonderful light strawberry pie I have ever tasted. Got the recipe from a friend here in the Bahamas.
- Ready In:
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup saltine, crushed (about 12 crackers)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- red food coloring (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in the crackers, pecans and vanilla.
- Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-inch deep dish pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. cool on wire rack.
- Set aside one strawberry for garnish. Slice half of the strawberries; set aside. In a bowl, mash the remaining strawberries; drain juice reserving 1/2 cup. In a saucepan, combine marshmallows and reserved juice. Cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted. Refrigerate until partially set.
- Fold the sliced and mashed strawberries and whipped topping into marshmallow mixture. Add food coloring if desired. Spoon into meringue shell. Garnish with the reserved strawberry. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Refrigerate leftovers.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION