Fluffy Spinach, Onion and Roasted Red Pepper Quiche With Gruyere
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 9 inches baked pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 8 ounces plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces roasted red peppers, chopped
- 10 ounces fresh spinach (may use frozen if squeezed really dry)
- Blind bake your pie crust and let it cool.
- When crust is cool, spread Dijon mustard on bottom of the crust. Top with grated gruyere.
- Carmelize onions in olive oil. Add thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside. Spread onions on top of cheese layer.
- Chop fresh spinach and cook in frying pan with chopped roasted red peppers until wilted and starting to dry, set aside.
- Wisk together eggs, yogurt and baking powder. (Don't use a mixer.).
- Add spinach and roasted red peppers to egg mixture and pour over cheese layer.
- If you're feeling creative, decorate the top with some red pepper strips.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 55 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean. You may want to protect crust edges with foil.
Join The Conversation
I love quiche and this one was to die for. Loved the combo of flavors with the cheesy custard like filling! Funny thing is I don't like Gruyere cheese by itself, but melted it is amazing! I didn't use as much spinach as was called for as DH doesn't care for its cooked texture. It was perfect for our tastes. Made for Veg'n Swap tag.