Flour Halawa- Halva - ????? ?
photo by Huda salih
- Ready In:
- 1 cup shortening or 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 -2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup water
- make a syrup by boiling sugar and water together, let the sugar dissolve completely and let it boil for 30 seconds and set aside.add the ground cardamom.
- place oil in a pot on medium heat, when it's hot add flour. keep on moving the flour until it becomes light brown in color.
- remove from heat, immediately add sugar syrup carefully, mix it with a whisk until the mixture is consistent and lump-free.
- pour in flat plates, garnish as desired, let it cool and serve.
- tips: you can use any type of flour you like, you can mix in a little whole wheat flour for more thick and grainy texture ( for the dessert in the picture i mixed 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour with 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour).
- tips: you can adjust sugar measure to your desired sweetness level , 1 cup will give you a light taste, 1 1/2 cup will give you a moderate taste, 2 sups will give you very sweet dessert.
- tips: the water level can be adjusted to achieve the consistancy level you desire, for the recipe in the picture i used 1 cup of water which will give you a light and soft dessert, you can use half the amount of water for a thicker dessert.
- tips: the dessert plates can be left plain or decorated by coconut flakes or chopped walnuts, this is the iraqi way of decorating this halawa, but you may use pistachios, cashews or pecans for this dessert.
- tips: if the halawa didn't have a pouring consistancy, place it in a plate and press it with a plastic spatula and leave it to cool before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!