Floribbean Shrimp With Fried Eggplant
photo by Douglas Poe
- Ready In:
- 1 large eggplant, peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup seasoned japanse panko breadcrumbs
- canola oil (for frying)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs florida shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat canola oil in deep skillet on medium high heat to 350 degrees . Season eggplant slices with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk to make egg wash.
- Dust eggplant rounds in flour, dip into egg wash and then roll in panko breadcrumbs.
- Fry eggplant about 2 minutes per side until golden brown. Drain and keep warm.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, chopped pepper, celery and garlic; sauté 5 minutes . Add tomatoes and cook until softened.
- Stir in wine, capers, tomato paste and red pepper flakes; bring sauce to a simmer.
- Add shrimp and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Add butter and simmer until sauce thickens. Stir in cilantro.
- To serve, arrange fried eggplant slices on serving plate and top with shrimp and Florbbien sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!