Flavored Sugar or Splenda
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1 1 -2 tablespoon lemon zest (your favorite citrus, 1/2 inch piece) or 1 -2 tablespoon lime zest (your favorite citrus, 1/2 inch piece)
- 7 cups sugar, about (or try it in splenda)
- Put sugar into Jars.
- Place vanilla bean, Star Anise,Cinnamon sticks, Cloves, Fennel, Cardamon, Citrus Zest and or herbs into Jars.
- You can put individually or mix and match your spices.
- Tightly close and store a week or more.
- Use as you wish!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a great idea Rita! A fantastically simple way to kick things up a notch! I used the spice flavored sugars to top various muffins and cookies, and mixed the spice flavored ones and added them to a rhubarb cake I was baking. The citrus ones are great on the rims of frozen drinks and I used the orange in a rhubarb pie I baked. Absolutely delicious!!
Original review 16 Dec: Stirred this mixture together today for making this salad dressing: Recipe #299013 next week for our Christmas Eve dinner Menu #22502. I cut the recipe down to 1/2 cup and used unbleached "white" sugar, 1" piece of licorice root, 1" piece vanilla bean,5-6 cardamom pods and 1 whole star anise cluster. I will give the recipe a star review sometime after Christmas. thanks Update/Verdict: Rock and Rolls! Thanks, ~Rita~!
I have just tasted the different flavored sugars that I made, thanks to Rita. I had to double up with the vanilla bean sugar before I could really taste the difference. With one bean to two cups of sugar, all I got was the wonderful smell. I mixed tangerine zest with whole cardamon pods( cracked them some with a hammer first)...just great! I also made one of star anise, vanilla bean and lemon zest. That was also a hit. I made muffins with that one. And I made a marzipan tea loaf with the vanilla sugar. Thanks for a great idea, Rita. Now there are four jars lined up and ready for use.