Five Star Chicken Gumbo
photo by EDMISTON99
- Ready In:
- 3 large chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 4 stalks celery (chopped)
- 8 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 bunch Italian parsley, stems and leaves (coarsely chopped)
- 4 cups hot water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups sliced frozen okra
- 4 green onions (sliced, white and green parts)
- 1 lb medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- cooked rice
- Put 5 bouillon cubes in 4 cups hot water to start desolving.
- season chicken with salt and pepper.
- heat oil in heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- cook the chicken until browned just slightly on both sides and remove.
- add sausage and cook until browned, then remove.
- add 5 tbsp of butter and let it melt.
- slowly sprinkle the flour over the oil/butter mixture stirring constantly.
- cook over med heat, stirring consantly until the color of peanut butter.
- add onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for about 10 minutes.
- add worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste and the 1/4 bunch italian parsley.
- cook, while stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- add 4 cups hot water with bouillon cubes, whisking constantly.
- add chicken and sausage and green onions.
- bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- add tomatoes and okra.
- cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes.
- serve over equal parts rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!