Fish Pie With Sweet Potato Topping
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 50 g butter
- 1 bunch spring onion, sliced
- 50 g plain flour
- 400 ml milk
- 500 g cod, coley skinned & cut into chunks or 500 g haddock fillets, skinned & cut into chunks
- 200 g cooked tiger shrimp
- 150 g smoked salmon, cut into strips
- 200 g cooked scallops
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill or 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 700 g sweet potatoes, peeled
- 40 g butter
- 50 g matured cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°/gas 4.
- Melt butter in large pan.
- Add onion; sauté.
- Stir in flour & cook for about 30 secs before gradually adding milk.
- Bring to a simmer & cook for a couple of minutes until you have a smooth thick sauce.
- Stir in the white fish, prawns,smoked salmon. scallops, dill/parsley lemon zest & juice.
- Add salt & pepper at this stage if needed.
- Once the sauce is bubbling & the cod is starting to flake a little, remove from the heat.
- Spoon into a large 1.5 - 1.8 ltr pie dish OR 4 individual dishes.
- Leave to cool whilst preparing the topping.
- Coarsely grate the sweet potato.
- Place in a clean tea towel & squeeze out the excess water.
- Melt the butter in a pan & add the potato.
- Stir over a medium heat for a couple of minutes until the potato is coated in Butter & starting to soften.
- Scatter the potato over the top of the pie, leaving a rough topping rather than pressing it down.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 30 mins until the top is golden and the filling is starting to bubble over the edges.
- Serve with garlic bread & salad of choice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Fantastic casserole. My new way of doing this is to partially cook the sweet potatoes, peel, then grate. This is faster than the method suggested so that's what I do. I find that there is no need for cooking the potaoes in the butter as they are sweet enough without and it cuts some of the fat. Finally I am not a huge fan of dill as it does tend to overpower a dish so I only used 1 teaspoon. The entire family agrees that this is delicious.