Fish in Coconut Milk Curry
This is an original Swahili recipe from Kenya. Posted for ZWT7-Africa. I found this on the internet.
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs fish fillets
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons garam masala or 3 teaspoons curry powder
- salt and pepper
- Cut the fish in serving pieces.
- Chop the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and tomatoes in small pieces.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Sear the fish filets and put them on a separate plate. Do not cook through.
- Reduce the heat to minimum and add the pepper and onion. Saute until the onion is semi-transparent.
- Add the garlic, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the fish filets.
- Cover the pot and simmer until the fish is cooked through, which should take up to 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice, boiled potatoes, chapatti, or broiled cassava.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was really lovely, and it was one of those rare dishes that the entire family enjoyed, from 9 month old to 3#$(* year old ;). Served with rice and sauteed zucchini it made for a very satisfying meal. I used only 1 T of tamarind b/c I was unsure how we would feel about the flavor, and I think it was a good choice for us. Thanks for posting, CJAY! Made for ZWT 7, for the Vivacious Violets.