Firecracker Shrimp Cups
- Ready In:
24 shrimp cups
For the zucchini cup
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup finely sliced scallion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dill
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄3 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 lb raw deveined, peeled shrimp (24 count)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 -3 cups canola oil, for frying
For the shrimp sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 3 -5 drops hot chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives, for garnish
Make the zucchini cups:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a non-stick mini muffin pan with oil or cooking spray.
- Take the shredded zucchini, wrap in a clean dish cloth and bring the edges up to meet. Twist the cloth at the top and squeeze over a sink to remove as much moisture as possible from the zucchini. Unwrap and tip into a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, salt, scallion, dill, parsley and cheese to the bowl. Stir well to mix. Add the breadcrumbs and stir again to combine.
- Divide the mixture among the 24 wells of the prepared mini muffin pan – you should be using about 1 tablespoon of the zucchini mixture for each well.
- Use a teaspoon to press the mixture into cup shapes in the muffin tin, as in the video.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until just starting to turn golden brown around the top edges.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before using a small spatula or butter knife to help you remove the cups to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the shrimp:
- Place the raw shrimp in a large bowl. Add the cornstarch and salt and stir to coat well. Crack in an egg and stir again to coat.
- Half fill a deep frying pan with the canola oil. Heat to 375 degrees F.
- Carefully lower in a few shrimp at a time. Let them cook until light golden brown then flip and cook until the other side is light golden brown.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the shrimp to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Repeat with all the shrimp.
- In a large bowl mix the mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce and hot sauce. Tip the hot shrimp into the bowl and stir to coat.
- Place a shrimp in each baked zucchini cup. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately.
- To give the zucchini cups the best possible texture, use breadcrumbs (as the recipe is written) instead of flour as seen in the video.
- For the most success making the zucchini cups, use this non-stick Wilton 24 cup mini muffin tin: https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Perfect-Results-Non-Stick-Cupcake/dp/B004EBS16G. If you do not have a non-stick muffin tin, be sure to grease and flour your pan.
Questions & Replies
2 cups of flour made the mix very dry. I added another egg and a Tbls if water. Also you left out amount of salt. I added 1 teas not enough. The recipe may incorrect. Did you mean 2 Tablespoon of flour? How much salt? I have redone the recipe with another egg a little water and added some more cheese. I keep think how much better they would be with less flour. Let me know if measurements are correct. Thank you
see 4 more questions
Although the zucchini cups do take a bit of time to mould into the right shape, they are really tasty. The flavor of the herbs really comes through and the breadcrumbs help them keep their shape without being heavy. The fried shrimp in the sauce are delicious! They’re best eaten hot though so I think you really have to serve these as soon as you make them, otherwise the cornstarch coating goes soft.
Turned out nasty and bland. The zucchini cups had too much flour and no salt or pepper!! I would take away about a half to two-thirds of the flour, add salt and pepper to the zucchini mixture and maybe even some smoked paprika. I also added some paprika to the shrimps, along with the cornstarch and salt. But I would have fried the shrimps in flour.
see 6 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!