Finnish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- Cook the rice in the beef broth until half done. Set aside.
- Cut off the stem end of the cabbage. Place the cabbage into a large pan of boiling water. Remove the leaves from the water as soon as they start to separate. Save the large leaves for stuffing, but cut off any tough parts of the leaves. Shred the smaller leaves, to use in the stuffing.
- Mix all stuffing ingredients, including the cooked rice, until smooth. Use some of the cabbage water if necessary to mix everything until smooth.
- Put some stuffing into each large leaf and roll up like a parcel Seal the edges with the egg white. The rolls should be small and thin.
- Brown the rolls in the butter, in a frying pan.
- Pack the rolls into a baking pan.
- Rinse the frying pan with some of the cabbage water and pour over the rolls in the baking pan. The rolls should be about half submerged in liquid.
- Drizzle the rolls with the golden syrup and bake at 350F for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn them once during baking and add more of the cabbage cooking water, if they are getting too dried out.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of cream to the sauce left in the baking pan after removing the rolls. Spoon the sauce over the cooked rolls to serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!