Finger-licking Good Beef Steak Bake
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs round steaks or 2 lbs sirloin
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 4 slices lemons
- 3 medium sliced onions
- 2 -3 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can beer or 1 bottle beer
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley or 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces cooked noodles or 2 cups cooked rice
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces.
- Add the lemon slices to the oil: brown beef on both sides in hot oil with the lemon.
- Remove the beef to a pan large enough in which to bake it.
- Layer onions and garlic over the browned beef in a cassreole dish.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup flour over the top of onions and garlic.
- In a bowl, combine the beef bouillon, beer, sugar, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the meat; bake uncovered in a 325 degree oven for 2-1/2- 3 hours.
- Serve over cooked noodles or cooked rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
First, I want to confess that I did make some significant changes to this recipe. I left the sugar out entirely. Also, DH decided this would be better as a casserole than served over noodles, so after the beef had cooked for a while, we stirred the noodles in and finished it that way. We thought it was delicious, not "beery" in a bad sense at all. I thought it tasted vaguely Belgian. It made a very nice supper for a cool night.
Unfortunately, my family did not like this. Usually DH eats anything I make, bad or good, but this time he went looking for leftovers. This just had a weird flavor to it and you could really taste the beer. I am surprised because I have tried alot of your recipes, Kiittencal, and they are very good. I guess our tastes just run differently on this one.