Filo Hors D'Oeuvres
- Ready In:
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb dry curd cottage cheese or 1/2 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 -2 egg
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Place half the filo dough in a pan.
- Pour about 1/4 cup margarine on top.
- Filling: Saute onions in melted butter until golden (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Cook spinach according to package directions.
- Drain well.
- Squeeze out all moisture from spinach.
- Process spinach until finely chopped, about 8 to 10 seconds.
- Add onions and remaining ingredients and process just until mixed.
- (Add second egg only if mixture seems dry).
- Pour filling over first half of filo dough and cover with remaining filo dough.
- Pour remaining butter on top of filo dough (add more if necessary), and then cut in squares so that, while cooking the butter will penetrate in between the layers of dough.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes, until top is golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in beautiful Montreal, QC. I was born in Israel and came to Canada at the age of 10. I work as a senior clerk / medical office manager and as a second job I do medical interviews/assessments on the phone. I love to cook food using fresh ingredients, especially mediterranean cuisine, as my mom is from Egypt. I also like French food - that is where my dad comes from. I have been married 26 years and have 2 great kids daughter (24 y.o.) and son (21 y.o.). I have a sweet cocker spaniel named Caramel and a parrot by the name of Kiwi. As you can see, we really love food.