Fettuccini Alfredo - Light Edition
This is basically a recipe I found in the Looneyspoons cookbook and altered to suit my tastes! So very yummy! Feel free to add whatever you like - sometimes I add chicken, and sometimes I add shrimp!
- Ready In:
- 12 ounces fettuccine pasta, dry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk (or I have used skim)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated (real is better)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 -2 cup shrimp or 1 -2 cup chicken
- Cook fettuccine. Drain and return to pot.
- While you are cooking the pasta, prepare the sauce. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Mix the milk and flour together until smooth. Add to garlic.
- Increase heat to medium high. Cook and stir until it is bubbling and thickened. 4 - 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in Parmesan cheese, basil, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 -2 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Stir in chicken or shrimp and sour cream.
- Cook until heated through.
- Pour sauce over fettuccine and toss to coat.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
My kids love fettuccine alfredo, so I tagged this in Spring '08 PAC. I used whole wheat linguine, Smart Bal. margarine, skim milk, shrimp and added some cooked chopped broccoli. It would definitely be stronger tasting with the real Parmesan, so next time I will add 1/2 C grated. Kids gobbled it up.Reply
see 3 more