I got this classic recipe from a friend, it's so delicious, creamy and decadent I had to share. The nutmeg really gives is a gourmet twist and separates it out from others.
- Ready In:
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped into tiny pieces
- minced garlic - 4-6 clove
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (I would use white pepper if you have it)
For the Pasta
- fresh fettuccine, two packages (about 1#) or linguine, noodles- from the refrigerator section two packages (about 1#)
- 4 quarts of water to boil pasta
- 1 tablespoon salt (optional in water)
To top the finished product
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional for decoration)
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic in butter.
- Stir in whipping cream; heat to boiling.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Reduce heat. Simmer the sauce uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Heat water and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling in large kettle, add fresh fettuccine. Boil uncovered 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until al dente (tender but firm). Begin testing for doneness when fettuccine rise to the surface of water.
- Drain fettuccine. Do not rinse. Pour the sauce on the pasta and stir together, dish into servings and top with a little extra Parm and a pinch of nutmeg to make it pretty. Serve with pepper.
- I usually serve this with blackened chicken breast and broccoli to add some kind of nutritional value. :) NOTE: I've tried to make this recipe with 1/2 and 1/2 and it's not nearly as good -- sorry calorie counters. It's OK to splurge once in a while.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION