Feta Cheese Souffles with Salad
This is a delicious way to begin (or end - depending on whether you serve dinner in the North American or European manner) any meal and very handy as it incorporates both cheese and salad courses.;-)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup fine fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil and drained)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 7 large egg whites
- salad greens, for 8 people tossed with
- your favourite vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter 8, ½ cup ramekins and coat well with breadcrumbs, knocking out excess and reserving.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour.
- Cook roux, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Add milk in a stream, whisking.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together ¾ cup cheese, milk mixture, yolks, sun-dried tomatoes, dill, and season to taste (careful – the feta is already quite salty!).
- Beat whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- Stir half of whites into cheese mixture to lighten and fold in remainder, gently but thoroughly.
- Fill each ramekin halfway with soufflé mixture and divide remaining cheese among ramekins.
- Fill with remaining soufflé mixture and sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Put ramekins in a large baking pan and add enough hot water to reach halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden-brown, about 25 minutes.
- Remove and let stand in pan 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of soufflés and invert onto a baking sheet.
- (may be prepared up to 1 ½ hours in advance and kept at room temperature, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 6 hours, no more, bring to room temperature before continuing).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bake in middle of oven until puffed and golden-brown, 5-7 minutes.
- Divide salad among 8 salad plates and put one soufflé atop each plate of greens.
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
8 years without review? I'm glad I found this wonderful recipe. Unbelivable beutiful and good!<br/>I did non have small ramequin mold, so I used clay ones of aboout 1 cup (sold with 250 ml Greek yogurt). They came out beautiful, no problems to take out of the mold, soft and tasty.<br/>This is highly recommended! Something that would impress all your guests!<br/>Thanks a lot Evelyn!