Feta and Herb Stuffed Shells
If you love pasta and cheese like l do this is the recipe. A little work but well worth the effort. Can't say where l got the recipe because it was given to me by a friend.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, chopped in processor with juices
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 (15 ounce) containers ricotta cheese
- 14 ounces feta cheese, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 fresh chives, bunches chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
- fresh basil sprig
- For sauce, heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper and saute 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, simmer until sauce is reduced to 5 cups, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and mix in basil.
- For filling, combine ricotta, 1 1/3 cups feta, 1/2 cup chopped basil
- and the chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in eggs.
- Cook shells in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Rinse with cold water until cool.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Preheat oven 350°F Spread 3/4 cup sauce over bottom of each of two 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dishes.
- Fill 30 shells and divide between dishes.Top with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining feta.
- Bake shells until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with basil sprigs and serve on a nice platter.
- Enjoy, lets see if you can have only 3 or 4.lol.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was good and pretty easy to make. I think the basil flavor was a little overwhelming for our tastes, although, I'm sure other would like it. If I make this again I will just buy plum tomatoes with basil included and leave out the fresh basil. My husband enjoyed it and there was enough leftover to take to work and share with his best friend tomorrow. Thanks for another great little recipe babyiguana. Made for PAC Spring 2014.Reply