Fennel and Swiss Cheese Quiche
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 1hr 22mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 cup chopped scallion
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch paprika
- To make the crust: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat a 9" pie plate with no-stick spray.
- In a large bowl or food processor, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Blend with a pastry blender or process briefly to mix. Add the oil and butter or margarine and stir or process until the mixture resembles fine meal. While stirring constantly or with the motor of the food processor running, add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and stir or process for about 30 seconds, or until the dough barely comes together. Transfer to a counter and pat the dough into a flattened disk.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll out to an 11" circle. Remove the top sheet and invert the dough into the prepared pie plate. Remove the remaining sheet of wax paper and fit the dough into the plate. Use a fork to poke holes in the bottom and sides of the dough. Line the dough with a piece of foil and top it with a layer of pie weights or dried rice or beans.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove the weights and foil, and bake for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the dough is dry but has not begun to brown.
- To make the filling: Coat a medium no-stick skillet with no stick spray and place over medium heat. Add the fennel and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the scallions and cook for 2 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, eggs, evaporated milk, skim milk, mustard, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Sprinkle the fennel mixture over the bottom of the baked pie shell and top with the Swiss. Pour in the egg mixture and sprinkle the top with the Parmesan and paprika. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 256kcal, Carb 24G, Fiber 3G, Fat 12G, Protein 14G.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note