Fennel and Orange Salad Topped With Prawns / Shrimp
Very simple salad to serve as an entrée at any summer party, perfect to prepare in advanced. You could use cooked or raw prawns/shrimp, but please make sure there is 500 grams once it's been shelled and divined or there may not be enough for everyone. If you are using raw prawns/shrimp - you could boil a pot of water and add prawns/shrimps for 3 - 5 mins (until they are floating). Then remove the prawns/shrimps from the boiling water. Place the prawns/shrimps into a bowl filled with iced cold water, this will quickly cool off the prawns/shrimp and avoid them from over cooking. Does not include marinating time. (Revised Recipe)
- Ready In:
Prawn or Shrimp Marinate
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red chili, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 500 g fresh prawns or 500 g shrimp, shelled and divined
- 1⁄2 baby fennel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 fresh oranges
- To make up the marinate add lemon juice, olive oil, finely minced fresh red chilli, finely minced fresh garlic, finely chopped fresh parsley into a jar and shake until the mixture it's well blended.
- Place the shelled and divined prawns/shrimp into a bowl and pour the marinate over the prawns/shrimp. Marinate in the fridge for about two hours.
- Once marinate is ready make the salad.
- Slice fennel in half and remove the middle bulb of fennel (this part could be very woody if fennel wasn't picked at the right time). Finely slice fennel into straw size. In a small bowl, mix olive oil and white wine vinegar then add fennel to soak/marinate in until ready to use.
- Peel each orange and sliced them into four thick slices each. When ready to serve this dish arrange three oranges in a circle (lapping each other) in the middle of each serving plates. If your orange is small then you may need another orange.
- Place fennel on top of the orange (you can discard any left over dressing).
- Place/Style the prawn/shrimp onto of the salad, discard any marinate.
- Serve and Enjoy.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
AMAZING!! I loved this salad. The fennel, tomato, and orange flavours were in perfect harmony... my taste buds are so happy :P The dressing was also to DIE for... I will be using it on many other salads as well! Thanks for a TERRIFIC recipe, Chef floWer! *Reviewed for July '08 Australia/New Zealand Recipe Swap*Reply
This received mixed reviews. 2 liked it, 2 didn't. The fennel was too strong & crunchy for the delicate & soft tomatoes. I love fennel & tomateoes, but apparently not together. We all liked the dressing. I was supposed to have made this for the July Aussie Swap but couldn't find fennel back then, lol. Thanks Chef!Reply