Feijoada - Brazilian Black Bean Stew
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 55mins
- 2 cups dried black beans, soaked 8 hours and drained
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the beans and the 10 cups water.
- Cook over low heat until the beans are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain and RESERVE 3 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and add the onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the beans, reserved cooking liquid, potatoes, carrots, thyme, cumin, salt, and pepper and cook, uncovered, over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Stir in liquid smoke flavoring and fresh chopped parsley.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delish! I used dried beans, but cooked them in the crockpot on low while I was at work. I also used canned chopped tomatoes and added a bit extra spices (more cumin, red pepper flakes). The main change is that I totally forgot to add the liquid smoke at the end. I'm sure it would have been lovely. Next time I will remember it for sure. Thanks for posting! Made for the Dec 08 veggie swap.