Fava Bean, Asparagus and Arugula Salad
I make this with cooked, shelled edamame (soybeans) that I get at the super Wal-Mart. It's already cooked and just has to be added to the asparagus, not blanched first. I also don't divide the salad. I just put it on a platter as listed in the directions.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 2 cups shelled fresh fava beans or 2 cups fresh shelled soybeans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb arugula, coarse stems discarded
- 1⁄2 lb pecorino romano cheese
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Cut asparagus stalk on a long diagonal into 1/8 inch slices, leaving 1 inch long tips.
- Blanch asparagus tips only, not stalks, for 2 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to ice water with a slotted spoon to stop cooking.
- Return water to a boil and blanch fava beans for 1 minute.
- Transfer to ice water to stop cooking.
- Drain asparagus tips and gently peel skins from fava beans.
- Toss beans and asparagus, tips and stalks, in a bowl with 1 tbsp oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide among 4 plates.
- Toss arugula with remaining oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mound on top of vegetables.
- Shave thin slices of cheese over salad and drizzle with vinegar.