Fat Free Flour Tortilla
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir well. Add fat-free mayonnaise and use pastry blender (or fork) and blend until flour mixture appears to be coarse throughout.
- Add hot water and stir well. Knead in extra flour. Cover and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Set iron griddle over medium to medium-high heat. Tear off a piece of dough, roll into a ball (approximately 2 1/2-inches).
- On well-floured board, roll dough out into a circular flat form as thin as possible (less than 1/8-inch thickness) approximately 6 inches in diameter. Add more flour if dough is sticky.
- Place tortilla on heated griddle and allow it to bubble slightly. Heat for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Flip tortilla and brown other side approximately 1 minute longer. If tortilla has browned in variable spots and does not have a dough-like texture, then it is done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum! These were such a treat! BF and I used these to make quesadillas using some leftover chicken. Tasted better than our local Mexican restaurant! The only downfall to this recipe is that it's rather labor-intensive. (BF still can't quite understand why I didn't buy torillas at the grocery store, since it took me the better part of an hour to complete these.) All in all, these tortillas were a fabulous treat, but definitely not something I'll attempt to do on a busy weeknight. Next time I'll do as Katie suggested and make them ahead and freeze them! Thanks for the fabulous recipe, Katie!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
i love cooking healthy. i have a major problem with ibs and the thing that triggers it is large amounts of fat so i can only have chicken breast, and fish except for bass, mackerel, or salmon. i love working out and horse back riding and i am always looking for "fat free" recipes. i love too cook as well.