Fassolia Gigantes Plaki (Giant Beans Baked in the Oven)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 500 g Greek fassolia gigantes (butter beans)
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 160 ml olive oil
- 280 g onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Pick the beans clean from stones and grit and soak them in cold water overnight.
- Drain and rinse them in a colander, put into a large saucepan or a pressure cooker, cover with plenty of cold water and boil them until they are cooked but still a little hard.
- This type of bean cooks quickly, so be aware until you get used to them.
- They take hardly 2 minutes in a pressure cooker and about 30-40 minutes otherwise.
- If they get overcooked, they get mushy and soggy and they do not taste at their best.
- This first step then is also the most important in this recipe.
- Drain the beans through a colander and keep aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat the olive oil and fry the onions, the garlic and the dried herbs, until they start turning pale golden.
- Add the tomatoes with all the juice from the cans or, if fresh tomatoes are used, add 150 ml water.
- Then add the tomato puree and sugar, break up the mixture with a fork, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Mix the parsley into the tomato sauce, add the beans and mix well.
- Spread the beans in an oven dish.
- Sprinkle a little oregano and black pepper on the top and cook in a pre-heated oven at 350 grades F/ 80 grades C, for 30 minutes, without stirring, until they look slightly crisp on top and quite dry.
- Alternatively, add the beans to the tomato sauce, mix well, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION