Farina With Indian Spices
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot Madras curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 4 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup farina, any variety
- 1 pinch fresh coriander (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pistachios (optional)
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- In a 3 quart saucepan, saute the onions and garlic in the ghee until they are a nice golden color. Medium heat works best.
- Add the raisins and curry powder and cook for a minute. Then add the milk and bring it to a boil. Whisk in the farina and cook it according to the package directions. (I use the "quick-cooking" variety, which takes 2 1/2 minutes.).
- Remove from heat and add cilantro, pistachios, salt and sugar, as desired. (I use the cilantro, salt and sugar.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a psychotherapist who decided to start cooking creatively after years of resistance. I cook primarily vegetarian but cook with other ingredients when my family complains too much. I'm the mother of 3 sons, two of whom are grown, and I've been married since 1978. I cringe when I think back on the cooking my poor husband valliantly endured when we were first married. I collect cookbooks and frequent the thrift shops in my area for unusual finds. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">