Fantastic Crock Pot/Slow Cooker Ham
photo by AcadiaTwo
- Ready In:
- 9hrs 15mins
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice (or use enough to cover the bottom of your crock pot)
- 2 cups brown sugar, divided
- 1 cured picnic ham (bone-in about 7-8 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- Spray the inside of your crock pot with cooking spray.
- Pour the pineapple juice into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Sprinkle about 1-1/2 cups brown sugar onto the juice.
- Rub the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar onto the ham.
- Place the ham fat-side down into the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours (you may baste the ham about halfway through cooking time, do this quickly to prevent a lot of heat to escape from the crock pot).
- Make sure ham in uncooked, with bone inches Face ham fat side up, this with the vinger makes it fall right off the bone. No carving needed.
Questions & Replies
I made this at Christmastime. It was very good. Kids thought it was too sugary. (what's up with that?). DH thought it was GREAT. None of us could taste the pineapple juice so maybe next time I will use apple or whatever I have on hand instead of opening Pineapple juice just to use 1/2 cup. I had a butt ham and the lid was raised just a bit, but as it cooked, the lid fit like it should. Oh.. and I forgot to start it in time, so I cooked it on high for 1/2 the time. It was plenty done. I will do this again but will probably just rub about 3/4 cup of brown sugar on the ham and not put any more in the juice. A very nice method to know about and it was a lifesaver when my Christmas day guests decided to come a day early because of a snowstorm prediction. Luckily I had made this a day or two before and had it to feed them... It was more "special' than plain ham and was easy to pass off as holiday food! LOL
I made this today for Easter supper. I've never been that fond of ham. I've tried a number of different recipes over the years as other family members do enjoy a ham dinner. This is a winner and in my keeper file. We all, including me, thought it was fantastic and the only thing remaining on the serving platter was the bone. So glad I tried this. Thank you kittencal
see 4 more reviews