Fantastic Crackle Top Sugar-Cinnamon Cookies
photo by HokiesMom
- Ready In:
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups Butter Flavor Crisco (do not sub butter for Crisco!)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (do not sift)
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar, mixed with
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon (for rolling)
- Set oven to 350°.
- In a extra large mixing bowl (I use my kitchen aid stand mixer for this), cream/mix the shortening, both sugars, eggs and vanilla until very well blended and fluffy.
- In a smaller bowl mix together (do not sift) the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt, with a spoon.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat well until blended.
- Roll into walnut size balls (or larger if desired).
- Roll into the cinnamon/sugar mixture, making sure that the balls are well coated.
- Place on a foil-lined lightly sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- ***NOTE*** for a crispier cookie, bake longer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh dear Kitten - I would love to tell you we really liked these but then I'd be lying. WE LOVED THEM!! The kids could not stop eating them as an afternoon snack. I had mine with some coffee and felt I was being spoiled. The cookies themselves are so simple to put together and you are correct in that a KA mixer works wonders. I halved the recipe and still got 40 cookies. I did cheat in that I did not have enough Crisco so I did use half Crisco and half butter but really the texture and the cookies did not seem to be harmed in any manner...nice soft texture, puffy, baked in 12 minutes perfectly! Thanks for sharing this delightful recipe! Tagged in 123 hits and also used for "Prop it Up" event in Photo Forum.
These cookies were fantastic! Kitten sent me the recipe at Christmas, and they were a huge hit. Simple, east to follow directions make it an awesome cookie even for beginners or kids. We did both crispy and soft cookies, bith are great but we are partial to the soft ones! Thanks for another winner Kitten!