Fannie Mae Fudge
If you are from or around the Chicagoland area... you know Fannie Mae and her delicious fudge!! Here is a recipe that you will be sure to love and is so easy to make!
- Ready In:
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 25 large marshmallows
- 1 cup butter
- 13 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 13 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces baker's unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 cup walnuts (Chopped)
- Mix sugar, milk, vanilla and butter in pan. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes, turn off heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Add all chocolate and stir until melted.
- Add nuts and fold into mixture.
- Pour into a greased raised edge cookie sheet or jelly roll pan.
- Set aside and let cool to room temperature and then cut into bite size pieces.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
May I humbly add a few crucial details for people like me who need detailed instructions? I'm from Chicago and have been making Fannie Mae Fudge since 1987 after trying and failing at dozens of fudge recipes! The 1st thing is not to use regular milk but an entire 12 oz can of evaporated milk. Next, start a 2 minute timer the moment the sugar and butter mix begins to boil. It must reach a low boil and stay there for 2 minutes to reach what's called the "hard ball stage." It's what makes the fudge thick and maintain its firm consistency. Stir constantly during the 2 minutes. The most difficult thing about making this fudge is the stirring but it is definitely worth it! It's what makes the fudge so creamy so don't take any short cuts! After simmering 2 minutes, turn off burner and move pan. Immediately add all 25 marshmallows and stir until they're all melted. Then add the 3 chocolates one at a time, stirring until each is completely melted before adding the next. Lastly, mix in the walnuts, spread in a cookie sheet with 1" border and refridgerate until firm then cut. This fudge is delicious as frosting, too! With one chocolate cake mix, make 2 cakes using loaf pans. Once baked, remove cakes from pans and place on plate. Pour warm fudge over all sides of cakes. Refridgerate and slice. Soo good!3Replies 1
see 6 more