Famous Butler Hot Dog Shoppe Chili Sauce
photo by Acableguy06
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 14 ounces ketchup
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour, mixed with the water (mixed well, so not lumpy)
- Brown and chop the ground meat in a 4 quart.
- Drain off excess grease.
- Add each of the spices, one at a time, and stir after each one.
- After all the spices are in the mixture, it should be a pastey consistency.
- Add the ketchup; stir in the water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Keep the heat low and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the flour and water mixture.
- This mixture will blend easily if you mix in your blender before adding to the rest of the sauce.
- The excess sauce may be frozen.
- This sauce is supposed to be from the famous hot dog shop in my area.
I agree with the other reviewers...about the nutmeg and cloves. I remember the clove taste, but I think it's best without the nutmeg. I also cut back on the ketchup since it made it more tomatoey than the original Dog Sauce. They used dill pickles to top their awesome dogs. Gee...I sure miss that place...cobwebs and all....