Falafel With Tzatziki Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- oil (for frying) or nonstick cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- salt and pepper
- In food processor place onion, parsley, and garlic. Pulse until finely minced.
- Add drained chickpeas and pulse just until they are mashed, but not a paste You want very small chunks of beans.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the egg white, cumin, cilantro, salt, pepper, oregano, cayenne, lemon juice, baking powder, and olive oil.
- Stir in the bread crumbs.
- Chill for 15 minutes to allow the crumbs to soak up the liquids and the patties will hold together better.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a nonstick frying pan, or spray with nonstick spray. Heat pan over medium-low.
- Form patties from 1/8 cup of falafel mixture. These are very soft so keep them more rounded, as they will flatten slightly when turned. Fry patties until golden brown on each side.
- In a small mixing bowl blend together the yogurt, sour cream, grated cucumber, garlic powder, sugar, and dill weed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill. This is best if made a couple hours in advance.
- Serve on pita bread with sauce spooned over.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Chandler, Arizona, which is near Phoenix. I have been a registered nurse for almost 25 years. Currently I am a clinical supervisor at a health care clinic. I love to cook rich foods with complex flavors, whether they be main dishes or desserts. I have also been eating low carb for about 5 years, so I am pretty good at modifying recipes to match my lifestyle.