Fajita Chicken and Rice Bake With Nacho Topping
photo by Lori Mama
- Ready In:
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil (or cooking spray for a healthier option)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet fajita seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3⁄4 cup corn
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups mild salsa
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheese
- 2 ounces nacho chips (should produce 1/2 cup crumbs)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Start boiling the rice in 2 cups of water, covered. This should take 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the diced chicken and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup water and fajita seasoning.
- Add the diced onion, green bell pepper, corn and garlic.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the chicken and vegetables are cooked and the liquid has mostly reduced.
- Add the salsa to the chicken mixture in the pan and stir.
- When the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid, add the rice to the chicken salsa mixture and stir. Pour into a 10x6 or equivalent baking tray.
- Top with 1 cup of the cheese.
- Crush the nachos into crumbs and scatter evenly over the cheese.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until bubbling.
- Serve and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a primary school teacher living in Bristol, England. At the moment I teach Kindergarten, known here as Reception. I really love my job but it doesn't leave much time for hobbies! I enjoy cooking for friends and aim to try new recipes as often as possible! My signature dish has to be White Chocolate Blondies, as it is my most requested sweet treat, and I definitely have a sweet tooth! Update- 5-5-09: Somebody was very thoughtful and gave me the gift of a premium membership. I can honestly say it made me feel so good! If you're out there, THANK YOU so much! I can't quite believe the generosity... <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"X> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/holidayprmr2.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7505/mybanner4a394ee84d5f0.jpg" > <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">