Extra Moist Chocolate Fudge Snack Cake
This is not a deep dark chocolate cake, I can tell you that it is extremely moist and very good, and is great even without any frosting, you may want to cut back on the sugar if using sweetened applesauce.
- Ready In:
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tablespoon vinegar with milk to make 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate and butter for about 1 minute, then whisk or stir until smooth; set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, applesauce, oil, vanilla and egg, then add to the dry ingredients along with the chocolate mixture; mix until combined.
- Add in mini chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until cake test done.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Thank you Kittencal! This is my GO TO Chocolate Cake Recipe. Way more than a "snack cake".<br/> I usually make cupcakes with it. It makes about 18 cupcakes if you fill the cups 3/4 of the way. Cupcakes take about 18-20 mins at 350. This cake is sooooooooo good. I don't eat sugar, so I used whey low in this recipe and NO ONE can tell the difference. I've also made with a variety of flours (gluten-free, low carb, whole wheat pastry flour) and it's just as good. And since I'm already using unsweetened choocolate squares, here is the EASY frosting that I use:<br/><br/>Old Fashioned Hard Fudge Frosting:<br/>1 cup sugar<br/>1/2 cup milk<br/>1 tsp. butter<br/>1 tsp. vanilla<br/>2 squares unsweetened chocolate<br/><br/>Add sugar and milk, butter. Stir until boils HARD! Boil HARD 6 minutes. Don't stir while boiling. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and chocolate. Stir until chocolate melted. Pour over cake. Will be a hard, shiny frosting. Tastes like fudge. Frosting sets up very quickly.
This is THE BEST chocolate cake ever. It is soooo moist thanks to the applesauce and the buttermilk. Really the best Chocolate Cake I've ever had. My husband ( who is not a cake fan ) loved it. I have made this now 3 different times. Twice for when I was having company and once for my son's birthday party....great recipe! Thanks!
This cake is wonderful! It has such an old-fashioned taste to it~like something one of my Grandmother's would have made. It is very moist and delicious. I used the milk/vinegar tip, as I had no buttermilk on hand. I also used regular-sized milk chocolate chips in the batter because that is what I had in the pantry. You are right, Kit this cake doesn't need any frosting on it and is a five star cake as is. However, I was still going to make your recipe #140744(because our motto is the more chocolate the better), but I had run out of powdered sugar. I baked the cake in an 8 X 8 -inch square pan and wouldn't have been able to frost it in the pan because the cake baked over the top (it didn't leak~it was just right). I knew my boys would want frosting, so had to use some store bought I had on hand. I just turned the cake out onto my cake plate and frosted it. I will have three happy boys when they come home from school today. Thanks Kit! :-)