Excellent Eggplant Parmesan
- Ready In:
- 1 large eggplant
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 eggs, scrambled
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 -3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup romano cheese, grated
- 48 ounces marinara sauce
- Peel the eggplant, and cut it in half length-wise.
- Cut into 1/4" slices.
- Coat eggplant slices in flour, dip in egg, and then coat with bread crumbs.
- Continue with all slices piling onto a plate.
- Pour oil (I use vegetable oil) into a saute pan using enough to submerse eggplant slices.
- Fry until lightly browned on each side. Remove to plate.
- Pour enough Marinara sauce to cover bottom of 9x13" dish with a thin layer.
- Add eggplant in a single layer.
- Pour additional Marinara sauce to cover top of eggplant. Add about 1 & 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, and sprinkle 1/2 cup of Romano cheese over.
- Continue with the next layer of sauce, eggplant, sauce, and the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
Join The Conversation
Wow! Taste extraordinaire! The calorie chart is messed up, but the taste is really great. This came out kinda like a lasagna. Together in 10 minutes, Baking time was perfect. I also baked a non-breaded, non-breadcrumbs, and non-fried other half and it was great. My store did not have Romano cheese so I used Colby-Jack instead. Definitely worth 5 Stars.<br/>I
I didn't quite need four eggs, even though my eggplant was pretty large. I just used one egg and thinned it out with about 1/3 cup milk - and even then I had some left over. I also like that this recipe includes a step to coat the eggplant slices in flour before dipping it into the egg and breadcrumbs - it makes it more crispy (and I think perhaps the coating adheres better too?). Great taste good clear instructions = 5*.
super simple and straightforward instructions, just what i needed since I had not made it in ages!<br/><br/>I layered it in a 1 1/2 quart round enameled pan and the volume was perfect for my quart of homemade sauce, 2 small eggplant and 1 large zucchini! I also prefer the grated mozzarella! great served on fresh bread as a sandwich on a cold day too!<br/><br/>thank you so much for the easy fix in my craving for eggplant parm!