Evil Mac and Cheese
photo by freffy.ferzbuckle
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 lb shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups gruyere cheese (grated)
- 2 cups asiago 3-cheese blend (grated)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 4 cups cream
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- Butter an 9 x 11 casserole dish.
- Dice pancetta and saute in olive oil , cook until crispy.
- Place cooked pancetta on paper towel to drain excess fat.
- Bring to boil water for pasta.
- Liberally salt pasta water once it comes to a rapid boil.
- Cook pasta 8 minutes stirring periodically
- Drain Pasta.
- While pasta is cooking prepare cheese sauce.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat melt 1 stick of unsalted butter.
- Once melted add 3 tablespoons of flour combine flour/butter mixture.
- Add half of the salt and pepper (reserve the remainder until after cheeses are added to avoid over seasoning).
- Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously as to not burn
- Pour cream into roux.
- Stir until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low and allow sauce to simmer and thicken for 5 minutes.
- Grate in fresh nutmeg.
- Add hot sauce & smoked hot paprika.
- Continue to stir every minute or so.
- Once mixture is coats back of a spoon begin to whisk in cheeses.
- Once all of cheeses are incorporated and sauce is smooth remove from heat and stir in pancetta.
- Taste and adjust salt & pepper seasoning, also add more hot sauce if you desire.
- Combine pasta and cheese sauce, then add to buttered casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for remaining 5 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!