" Evil" Chicken
I modified this recipe from a tea smoked chicken recipe in one of my cookbooks. My husband dubbed it "evil" chicken because he couldn't stop eating it. I find it turns out best when you use a whole chicken. However you can substitute boneless breasts. I serve with steamed rice and broccoli.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 15mins
- 1 (3 lb) fryer chickens or 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed peppercorn
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 cup black tea leaves
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 orange, juice of
- Combine sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, crushed peppercorns, onion, tea leaves, orange peel and juice from orange in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour over chicken and marinade in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- If using a whole chicken bake at 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is done.
- If using boneless breasts I prefer to cook it in a slow cooker on low for at least 2 hours but you can also bake at 350 for at least 45 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Use remaining marinade from roasting pan or slow cooker as a gravy.
- (You may need to thicken).