Ethiopian Honey Yeast Bread
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 (1 tablespoon) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup lukewarm water (110-115 degrees)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lukewarm whole milk
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 4 -5 cups all-purpose flour (useup to 1/3 whole wheat for healthier bread)
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water. Let stand for 3 minutes, then stir to dissolve. Set the bowl in a warm place for about 5 minutes; mixture should double in volume. If it doesn't, repeat procedure.
- Combine egg, honey, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a deep bowl, mixing until smooth. Add the yeast mixture, milk, and 5 tablespoons of the melted butter. Beat until well blended. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, until becomes too stiff to stir.
- On a lightly floured board, knead the dough, adding a small amount of flour when necessary to keep from sticking. Knead for about 5 minutes. Place dough in a large, greased bowl. cover with a damp cloth and let sit in warm place for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease a baking sheet with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Punch down the dough and knead it again for a few minutes. Shape the dough into a round, and place it on the greased sheet. Preheat the oven to 325*F.
- Let the bread rise again while oven is preheating. Bake the bread for 1 hour, or until the top is crusty and light golden brown.
Join The Conversation