Estonian Potato and Beetroot Salad
- Ready In:
- 400 g beetroots, cooked
- 700 g potatoes, cooked
- 200 g carrots, cooked
- 1 medium salted herring
- 2 dill pickles
- 2 apples, red
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 125 ml sour cream, low fat
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 spring onions, to garnish
- Steam the potatoes, beetroot and carrots whole and unpeeled. If they are boiled they become a bit waterlogged and the beets loose a bit of colour.
- Peel the potatoes, carrots and beets, and core and peel the apples.
- Fillet the herring, removing the skin and even the smallest bones.
- Cut everything (except eggs) into tiny cubes.
- Stir sour cream, mustard, salt and sugar together to make a dressing.
- Mix all the ingredients with the sauce, leave covered in the fridge for an hour or two.
- An hour or so before serving remove from fridge and let come to room temperature Chop the eggs finely and scatter over the top of the salad along with the spring onion.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Recently relocated to Queensland, warmer seas for sailing and fishing. Aside from cooking for my family I do cake decorating (mainly wedding cakes) and recently unusual jams - adding spices and herb - and preserves and cheese making