Escargots in Herbed Cream
photo by Zurie
- Ready In:
- 4 -6 tablespoons creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 5 -6 mushrooms, white, fat, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 7 ounces escargot (canned, undrained, 200g)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chervil, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped (or to taste, but use a lot)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- good pinch flaked sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Put the crème fraiche, finely chopped mushrooms and finely chopped small onion in a pot. Heat on high until it starts bubbling. Stir well, fairly often, and then turn heat down a little.
- Cook that about 10 minutes, when the onion should be soft, the mushrooms cooked, and the cream sauce reduced.
- In the meantime, open the can of escargots and rinse them in a sieve, and shake them to dry a little. You've also chopped the herbs.
- Now add the escargots, herbs, garlic, butter, salt and pepper to the pot.
- Stir through, and simmer for about 2 minutes until the escargots/snails are heated through.
- I like to serve this in individual ramekins, with a nice bread roll or French bread, or freshly made bread. And it can stand waiting in a warming oven.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a widow, retired, and I love cooking. I live on the coast in South Africa and I love seafood. You're welcome to my recipes (all kinds, definitely not just seafood!) Just remember that no recipe is ever cast in stone -- adjust to your taste! The photo was taken at a rustic seaside restaurant on our West Coast, approx 1 year ago (2016).