- Ready In:
- 6hrs 35mins
- 2 lbs fish fillets (i like haddock or halibut for this)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pepperoncini peppers, sliced (pickled)
- 3 sour dill pickles, sliced
- 1 cup pickled cauliflower, broken into florets
- Cut the fish into 2 inch pieces and dust with flour.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan and fry the pieces of fish until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Drain the grease thoroughly and put the fish in a large, non-reactive bowl.
- In a large skillet and medium sized non reactive saucepan heat the olive oil.
- Add the red onion, green onion, red pepper, carrot, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes on medium heat, or until the red onion is soft.
- Add the vinegar, tomato paste,water, and seasonings. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Put the pickled items over the fish in the bowl.
- Pour the finished vinegar and vegetable mixture over all and mix lightly. You may break the fish up a bit, but this will not ruin it.
- Cover and set to chill in refrigerator for at least 6 hours, and preferably over night.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!