Eric's Crab Cakes
photo by YoloChef
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 20mins
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄8 th cup finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 dash ground pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups breadcrumbs (I am currently using Panko)
- 1 egg
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs (for coating)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, stem finely julienne (for garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, strips finely julienne (for garnish)
- 2 cups ice water (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350f.
- Heat skillet to med hi heat and melt 2T butter. Place diced onions, red pepper, and celery in butter, season to taste ( a little S&P) and saute until soft and translucent. Remove from heat and place in large mixing bowl.
- Add all ingredients down to and including the egg (Whisk it first, in a separate bowl).
- Now it is time to start being gentle. Add the Breadcrumbs gently to the mix. We need it fully incorporated, but we don't want to make a mush of it. Try to get it wet with the mixture without smooshing it into a paste (Not that easy, but doable).
- Now for the crab. Fold in the crab gently so as not to break it up too much.
- Shape mixture ( don't cut out) into individual crab cakes (I am using a 2 1/4 round form) 1 - 1 1/2 inch high. Set on plate and cover with plastic wrap air tight. Set in fridge over night or at least 3 hours (this allows the egg to "set" the cake together - I prefer overnight).
- When ready to cook: Whisk together the 3 eggs in a shallow bowl. Prepare 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs on plate for coating.
- Gently (one at a time) set the crab cakes in the egg wash. Using a spatula or spoon wash the egg over the crab cake then flip, and wash the other side.Be very gentle with the flipping / washing so as not to break apart your cake. Remove to the panko and coat each side. flip on end and evenly coat the edges of each cake by rolling in the panko. I do this one at a time due to limited space on the breadcrumb plate. Set on clean plate.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat. once oil is hot enough to sizzle a loose breadcrumb place cakes in pan into oil in a circular pattern. Fry on first side for about 3 - 4 minutes (check bottom for golden brown color ( DON'T BURN). Gently flip to other side.
- Once flipped, drop in the other 2T of butter (scattered around skillet) and begin basting the sides of each cake with the butter / oil mixture. Once the bottoms are brown, pick up each cake and place it on its side, rolling them to achieve a bit of color all around the cake.
- At this point, we are almost done! remove each cake from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate(to absorb extra oil).
- Transfer to a roasting rack lined baking sheet (or just on the sheet if you don't have a roasting rack) and place in oven for ten minutes.
- Remove from oven and plate.
- Using a remoulade (I am currently using #87124) dress the cakes over with zig-zag lines and place a small pool on the side. (A piece of folded romaine with some halved cherry tomatoes also looks nice).
- For Garnish: Place finely julienne'd onion stem and red pepper in ice water bath for at least 15 minutes (they should be nicely curled up). Pull from water and place on paper towel to drain. Once drained, place a little of each (I prefer to get them mixed up) on top of each crab cake. Serve.
- take photos :-) Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!