photo by Linajjac
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 ounce instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Stir together flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl. Heat milk, beaten egg and butter to between 120° and 130°. Add butter, egg and milk to flour mixture and mix to form a soft dough ball.
- Knead dough about 8 minutes using the stand mixer dough hook.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and transfer dough to bowl or add a little oil to the mixer bowl and coat dough with oil.
- Cover and proof 60 to 90 minutes at room temperature, or until dough doubles in size.
- Lightly dust a 12x18 baking sheet with corn meal. Dust work surface with flour and corn meal. Pat dough out to about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 8 to 10 muffins, 3 inches in diameter, and transfer to baking sheet. Sprinkle with corn meal and cover with plastic wrap.
- Proof 30 to 45 minutes until nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat a non-stick griddle to about 330°F If your griddle is not non-stick, lightly coat with oil or cooking spray. Use a spatula to transfer the muffins to griddle. Leave at least 1/2-inch between muffins. Keep remaining muffins covered until ready to cook.
- Cook muffins 6-7 minutes or until well browned but not burnt. Use a spatula to carefully turn the dough over and cook other side 3 to 5 minutes or until browned. Fully cooked muffins will register at least 185°F at the center on an instant read thermometer. Do not over cook, or your muffins will be dry.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!