photo by Chef on the coast
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 8mins
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and leave in a warm place.
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm milk.
- Let froth, then mix in the butter.
- Stir all the liquid into the warm flour and beat well until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and proof in a warm place for 50 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Turn onto a well-floured board and knead, working a little more flour if necessary to make the dough easier to shape.
- Round up the dough, roll into a thick sausage shape and slice into 8 to 10 portions, each about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch thick.
- Shape each one into a round with straight sides.
- Put onto a greased baking sheet.
- Cover (use greased plastic wrap) and put in a warm place to proof for 30-40 minutes or until springy to the touch.
- Leave room for expansion and be careful not to over-proof, as the muffins will get flabby and lose their shape.
- Warm and grease the bakestone lightly.
- Lift the muffins carefully onto the bakestone and cook over very moderate heat (about 350-degrees) for 8-10 minutes until pale gold underneath.
- Turn and cook the other side.
- Wrap in a cloth and keep warm if cooking in batches.
- To serve, insert a knife in the side, pull the top and bottom slightly apart, and insert slivers of butter.
- Apple butter ain't bad either.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made the dough for these in a bread machine on the dough cycle. After it was done, I broke the dough into 12 little balls, flattened them out, and cooked them on an electric griddle set at 325 degrees. They were so good that I have made them twice since. And SOO EASY! I love my ABM! Anyway. I did heed AW about the denseness, and used a whole packet of yeast (2 1/4 t. ) And they came out with all of the nooks and crannies that the store bought ones do' Honestly, before these, I thought english muffins where supposed to be a bit stale! LOL. I will never buy another. If you have problems with these, check the date on your yeast, and yes, do cook them on the stove top in a skillet, or on an electric griddle.