English " Hobnobish" Oat Cookie Biscuits
photo by PrimQuilter
- Ready In:
- 3 cups whole oats, crushed a little
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt (I prefer coarse sea salt)
- coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the water.
- Combine the oats, flour, salt and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the baking soda.
- Using a table spoon, scoop a spoonful and roll into a ball. Put balls onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Dip bottom of flat glass into coarse sugar and press cookie flat to ½”.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 12 to 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I LOVED hobobs with milk chocolate - but we can only get the "low sodium" ones anymore.. and they just are not as good without the salty tang. These are SOOOOO yummy.. I used more coarse salt, and put chunks of Hersheys milk chocolate bars on them right out of the oven, then spread it around when it melted.. They turned out JUST LIKE THE OLD HOBNOBS!!!! Thanks SO much for posting this recipe!!
These are scrumptious! Here are a couple of details from my experience. I used a food processor to coarsely grind the oats. Incorporating the baking soda was a bit tricky; perhaps next time I will use a teensy bit more water to dissolve it. All in all, though, this is a terrific recipe. Maybe some day I'll try the real Hobnobs!
I loved these! I haven't had one of these in years, they are a bit hard to find in the middle of the states. I totally forgot the salt, and couldn't find any coarse sugar. I just piled regular sugar on top before baking. I don't know what these are supposed to look like and if this pic even resembles them. But they were dang tasty! Thanks Evil Eva! Made for PAC Spring 2009.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Love to cook, and I love to cook.