English Cheese Scones
- Ready In:
- 1 lb all-purpose flour, with 8 teaspoons of baking powder added
- 4 -5 ounces butter (use margarine at a pinch but butter tastes better)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (can be omitted)
- 4 ounces grated parmesan cheese (use the stuff that comes ready grated not your good parmesan)
- 4 ounces extra strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- sparkling water or soda water, to mix
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs and no lumps of butter remain.
- Add the two types of grated cheese, the salt and the hot pepper flakes.
- make a well in the centre and add the beaten eggs with the splash of soda or mineral water and mix all ingredients together until a soft dough is formed. Add a little more water if necessary but take care not to make the dough too sticky.
- Place the dough on a clean floured surface and knead it very slightly until it is smooth.
- Roll out with a rolling pin until approximately 3/4 inch thick, then use a round cookie cutter to cut out rounds.
- Place the rounds on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 200 degrees celsius for around 15 to 20 minutes or until the scones are golden brown on top.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a UK expat who's been living in Barbados for the past 13 years. (Maybe not for too much longer though... I have a hankering for home)! I live by Buddhist philosophy and have chosen to be a vegetarian for the past 15 years or so. I live with my Caribbean husband and an assortment of pets.