Engelsaugen - German Angel Eye Cookies
For the ZWT6 Tour - German Region. Found on a German Recipe website. "These cookies not only taste good, they look really pretty too. Pack them in a colourful box or wrap in cellophane and give as gifts too." Preparation does NOT include the 1 hour of chill time needed.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour (120 grams)
- 6 tablespoons butter (75 grams)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar (35 grams)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 of a lemon rind, grated
- 3⁄4 cup raspberry jam
- 2 blocks dark chocolate squares, melted
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Mix together the flour, butter, egg yolk, confectioner's sugar, vanilla, pinch of salt and the grated lemon rind to form a dough. Leave the dough in a cool place for an hour.
- Out of the dough make small balls and place on a lightly sprayed prepared baking tray. Make a small indentation in the middle of each ball, using your little finger and fill the hole, using a teaspoon, with raspberry jam.
- Bake your cookies at 375F (or 200 degrees C) for about 15 minutes.
- Leave them to cool and remove to a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate and shortening together. Coat the bottom of each cookie with melted chocolate and leave until firm on waxed paper.